In this post, I’m sharing how to make a cute paper pansy with the free paper pansy template. You will also get a FREE SVG cut file for Cricut or any other cutting machines with this tutorial paper pansy tutorial. You can use this paper pansy to make a paper pansy wreath.
Hello, Cricut buddies! Jav here from Cut N Make Crafts and today I’ll be showing you how to make a paper pansy with a free paper pansy template/SVG cut file, cardstock, and your cutting machine such as a Cricut.
If you don’t have a cutting machine, you can make this paper flower wreath by cutting out everything by hand using the free paper flower wreath template.
What are pansies?
Did you know Pansies are actually hybrid flowers that were first created in the 19th century by crossing several Viola tricolor flowers together. By 1833, there were around 400 different types of pansies available. How fascinating!
Pansies are winter flowers, perfect to make a winter garden bright and colorful. The size of the garden pansy flower measures between 2 – 3 inch and it has 2 large petals, 2 small petals, and one petal underneath. The petals are slightly overlapping and are usually white, yellow, or purple in color. However, modern horticulturalists have developed pansies in a variety of colors like red, gold, orange, and even black! If you’re making paper pansies with the paper pansy template, you can make them in any color you like.
Pansies have been a part of art and culture ever since they were first introduced. Van Gogh also created two different artwork around pansies. Yep, they were SO POPULAR!
They also represent love in the language of flowers, which is quite shocking as I always thought the rose was the only way to express love in flower language.
Now that we know the significance of pansies, let me show you how to make paper pansies with the paper pansy template and SVG cut file.
Supplies Needed for Paper Pansy
- Cricut Maker/Cricut Explore/Cricut Joy(if you’re using Cricut Joy, you can reduce the size of the flowers to fit on the Cricut Joy mats)
- Light Grip Cutting Mat
- Essential Tools Set
- Scotch Tacky Glue
- Lightweight cardstock (in any color you like. I love this cardstock and highly recommend them for all sort of flower making)
- FREE SVG and Paper Pansy Template [available for the VIPs. Become a VIP member of Cut N Make Crafts by entering your name and address below]
DIY Paper Pansy Template and Tutorial
- Cricut cutting machine
Get the FREE Paper pansy template/SVG from the VIP library
- Sign up for the VIP list by entering your name and email in the box given above.
- Once you’ve entered your name and email address, you will receive a welcome email from me – Jav at Cut N Make Crafts.
- Inside the email, you’ll find the link to go to the FREE VIP library.
- Download the FREE paper flower wreath template/SVG from the VIP library. The link for the VIP library is included in the thank you email that you should receive after signing up for the VIP list.
Cut out the Paper Pansy using the FREE SVG and Cricut
- Open Cricut Design Space.
- Click on the “+” sign to start a new project, opening up a blank canvas.
- Click on upload.
- Locate the file on your computer and upload it to Cricut Design Space.
- Insert the file on the canvas and click on “Make it”.
- Place the cardstock on the mat and cut everything out.
Cut paper pansy by hand using the paper pansy template
- Select 3 to 4 different coloured craft papers for each flower. Trace the1st layer petals on a coloured craft paper, the 2nd layerpetals on another craft paper and the rest of the patterns on the 3rdand 4th paper as you want. Cut out the traced patterns nicely.
Asemble paper pansies
- Grab the medium and small petals of the 1st layer and attach the 2ndand 3rd layer petal patterns on them taking care to arrange the petals perfectly.
- Cut a 1cm slit from the bottom middle part of each petal. Apply glue oneither side of the slit.
- Overlap the other side of the slit over the glued part and join themtogether nicely. Similarly, prepare the rest of the petals.
- Hold the bottom side of the petal firmly and slightly fold the top part towards the opposite direction to give the petal a curved shape.
- Cut out a small round paper for the base.
- Grab the 2 big petals (the plain petals) and attach them on the base side by side, near the border of the base.
- Now attach the small petals on both sides of the big petals, keep them adjacent.
- Attach the medium petal on the remaining space between the 2 small petals, on the base.
- Attach the small circle cutout in the center of the flower pattern tocomplete the paper pansy craft.
- That's it! Your paper pansy is ready! Super easy right?
The End of Paper Pansy Tutorial
With that, we have reached the end of the tutorial where I showed you how to make a paper pansy with a free paper pansy template, cardstock, and Cricut. Hope you had fun making this super easy paper pansy. If you make this paper pansy, feel free to share it on Instagram and tag me in your post!
Also, check out these free Cricut paper crafts.
- 9+ AMAZING Craft Paper Storage Ideas
- EASY Giant Paper Gerbera Daisy Template FREE SVG
- DIY Rose Paper Flower Bouquet with FREE SVG for Cricut
- How to Make a Unicorn Crown (FREE SVG)
[…] 33. Paper Pansy Tutorial […]