In this post, I’m sharing a super easy and quick beginner Cricut project using felt. We’ll be making a super cute Cloud Wall Hanging perfect for nursery decor or you can make this with your kids to keep them busy. I’ve also shared some tips and hacks on how to cut felt with your Cricut to help you get the best results possible.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Cut N Make Crafts is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
You can buy tea towels in bulk from this link and customize them to give as gifts to all your friends and family members.
Tips for Cutting Felt Perfectly
If you’ve used felt previously, you know how difficult it is to get it off the sticky surface thanks to all the lint. It’s certainly not easy at all and can ruin the mats as well.
A quick hack to prevent your mats from getting covered in lint is to cover the mat with the contact paper. Keep the sticky side of the contact paper facing up so you can stick your felt on the sticky side. This will ensure all the lint sticks to the contact paper rather than the mat.
Okay now let’s have a look at all the supplies now.
Supplies Needed for DIY Cloud Wall Hanging Project
- –Felt sheets (any coordinating colors of your choosing – I used white and light blue for the cloud, black for the eyes and mouth, pink for the cheeks, two shades of blue, coral, orange and green for the rays)
- –Cricut Rotary Blade /fine point blade [this depends on the type of felt you use. If you’re using acrylic felt, you’d need the rotary blade. If you’re using plain felt, you can cut it out using the fine point blade.}
- -Sewing machine and matching thread
- –Polyester batting to fill inside the cloud to give it a 3D shape
- –Glue gun with clear glue sticks (my favorite is the Surebonder Glue Gun. Make sure you’re using good quality glue sticks instead of the random ones available at Amazon/Ebay because they don’t fit in the glue gun properly and make things extremely frustrating. I bought some cheap glue sticks off of Aliexpress and it ruined my glue gun, initially I thought the problem was with my glue gun, so I bought a new glue gun and I had the same issue. The glue stick would get stuck half way through and wouldn’t come out no matter what I did. This made me realize the problem was with the glue sticks and not the glue gun. From now, I’m just buying branded glue sticks from trusted brands instead of the cheap ones.)
- FREE Cloud Wall Hanging SVG file (available for the VIPs, become a VIP member by entering your name and address below)
Gather the Supplies
Preparing the Image:
- Download the FREE Cloud Wall Hanging from the VIP library. The link for the VIP library is included in the thank you email that you should receive after signing up for the VIP list.
- Open Cricut Design Space.
- Click on the “+” sign to start a new project, opening up a blank canvas.
- Click on upload.
- Locate the file on your computer and upload it on Cricut Design Space.
- Insert the file on the canvas and click on “Make it”.
- Click on browse all materials.
- In the search box, type felt and select the type of felt you’re working with.
- Add the blade to your Cricut depending on the type of felt you’re using for this project. If you have the Cricut Maker you will be prompted to add the fine point blade or the rotary blade. If you’re using the Explore Air 2, you can use the fine point blade to cut out felt.
- Place contact paper sticky side up on your mat.
- Place felt sheets on the contact paper one at a time.
- Load the mat and cut out the felt pieces.
- You should have two pieces of the cloud pattern, two pieces for the eyes and cheeks and one piece for the remaining patterns.
- Clip the notches at the tops of all the ray pieces as well as the notches along the length of the narrow stripe piece.
Assembling the Felt Pieces:
- Preheat the hot glue gun.
- Position the ray pieces with the longest piece in the center to the shorter pieces towards the outside.
- Align the notches on the ray pieces with the notches on the narrow placement piece and glue in place.
- Position the rays to the wrong side of one of the cloud pieces and glue in place.
- Next, position the face pieces on to the front side of the cloud piece and hot glue in place.
- Cut a piece of twine 14” long and knot both ends.
- Glue the ends of the twine to the wrong side of the cloud along the upper edge.
- Align wrong sides of the cloud pieces with the top edges of the rays and the ends of the twine sandwiched in between.
- Using a sewing machine and matching thread color, stitch around the outer edge of the cloud leaving an opening approximately 2” long.
- Insert batting through the opening pushing it to the opposite end. When the cloud is full of batting, stitch the opening close.
- Hang to enjoy!
That’s it! Your super cute Cloud Wall Hanging is ready to be hanged!
Save this tutorial for later!
More Cricut Projects to Try
Want more Cricut project inspiration? Check out these posts!
- 11+ UNIQUE Craft Vinyl Storage Ideas
- Convert Picture to SVG – 3 Quick and Easy Methods
- Different Types of Vinyl and How to Use Them